Tuesday, February 12, 2013

40 days

As many of you saw on Facebook, I chose what to do for Lent this year.

I put a lot of thought into different things I could do or give up for 40 days.  And I think my choice satisfies both "doing" and "giving up".  This year, I have chosen to give up all non-essential spending.  I really started looking hard at my budget and my checkbook (becuase I use my debit card for basically everything), and realized how quickly I spend a few dollars here and there... places where it's really not needed.

Some of the ways to quit non-essential spending:

  • No shopping for clothing, books, movies, etc.
  • No downloading any new itunes music.
  • No stopping for "fast food" when I have plenty of food I can eat and make at home.  
    • This will also help with my goal for 2013 to make a new recipe each week.
    •  It will also reduce the amount of food I throw away each week.
    •  If I have plans with friends to meet for dinner, I will continue with those plans as I feel that time with friends is important and special!
  •  No buying sodas or snacks out of the vending machine at work.
  • Etc.
At the end of Lent, I plan to make a donation to the charity of my choice.  I am still thinking of which one I would like to do.  Likely, it will be something to do with animals - so either Happily Ever After or the Bay Area Humane Society.  

In keeping with what most people do, I did a bit of shopping online tonight.  I purchased a movie I have been wanting for a few weeks, because it went on sale (Pitch Perfect) and I bought my new running shoes.  While I could have justified this as an essential purchase in a few weeks, I bought them now and I won't be tempted to cheat with those (and possibly other things) at a later date.

Here are my new kicks...

Aren't they purddy!??!  I am a huge fan of the Asics Gel Kayano line.  I have 3 pairs of the 17's... two of which have met their expiration date and one pair that I have been wearing to run outdoors (so I feel bad wearing them at the gym).  These newbies will be worn strictly indoors until road conditions clear in spring!  These are the new Gel Kayano 19's.  I skipped buying the 18's line after I had heard many poor reviews about them.  I am hoping the 19's fit like a glove!  I will let you know how I like them in a few weeks.

Even though I have been fighting a nasty head cold since Sunday... and taking a rest day yesterday... I managed to get to the gym and run 3.1 miles on the treadmill tonight in 32:02!  I really pushed myself and now I'm off to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment