Sunday, October 23, 2011

Apple Pie-like Weather!


Oops!  It's been a few days since my last post.  It's been a busy week, but I actually managed to get three runs in this week (Tuesday, 3.1 miles; Friday, 2.5 miles; Saturday 3.1 miles).  Ryan & I are running the Fox Cities YMCA, Freaky 5k run next Saturday down in Appleton - so I am hoping to run 3 more times before Saturday comes.  My Nike+ tracker keeps yelling at me that I am not keeping up with my running goals!  Sometimes life gets in the way of working out, even though I know that's just an excuse and I should make time for it!

I do have to start looking into purchasing some running tights though, so far I have still been OK in capris & long sleeves, but I know that time is running short when I will be able to wear capris.  I don't want "not having the right clothes" to turn into my excuse for not running as it continues to get colder.  Oh Wisconsin winters... I have a love/hate relationship with you! :)

This year, I decided to refrain from turning on the heat in my house until November 1st. Some people may think I am crazy – but I know it will go a long way to help the cost of the heating bills in winter. Plus it's an excuse to bundle up in sweatpants, sweatshirts and blankets :) 8 more days and the heat is on! (There is an exception: If my house drops below 55 degrees, the heat will go on).

After getting home from visiting Ryan's family in Wisconsin Rapids this weekend (we were celebrating two birthday's & saying goodbye to Ryan's grandma as she prepares to head back to Arizona for the winter)... I decided it was the perfect rainy, cold day to bake an Apple Pie! Since I normally bake Apple Crisp, I had to do a little searching for a yummy sounding recipe for pie. I found one on the Betty Crocker website, and modified it to make it my own :)  You can see the original recipe here.


Rachel's Apple Pie

Ingredients:
1 box Pillsbury Pie Crust
6 cups peeled & sliced apples
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. Ground cinnamon 1/2 tsp. Ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp. Salt
2 Tbsp. Butter

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place 1 pie crust unrolled into 9 inch pie plate. Place sugar, flour, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt into a bowl and mix together. Add apples and coat well. Once coated, place apples into pie plate. Cut up 2 tablespoons of butter into small pieces and place on top of pie (spread out). Unroll 2nd pie crust and place on top, tucking the top edges under the bottom edges. Cut a few slits in the top. Brush with milk & sprinkle with sugar. Bake in oven for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.

Makes 8 Servings.

*Note: Careful edges don't get too brown, you can cover the edges with foil if necessary.

 






2 comments:

  1. So, how did it taste? I cheated. A private school in Sheboygan makes homemade apple pies for a fundraiser. They make about 10,000 each year. I picked up my three pies today and will be starting it soon for dessert tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It tasted awesome!! I have to post the picture of the finished/baked pie :) Ryan & I finished the pie in 4 days (4 pieces each :)).

    If I didn't have so much fun baking - I would probably buy my pies too. 10,000 is an amazing number of pies to make!

    ReplyDelete