Sunday, October 9, 2011

Homemade Applesauce

I know, two posts, back-to-back... but this one is quite exciting!  For the first time ever, I got to experience making homemade applesauce :)  It was a very simple and easy process.  My dad invited me over to make it at his house, so this afternoon, Colby & I headed over and got to work.

I wish I would have gotten a picture of the FULL BOX of apples, but I didn't think about it until there were only a few left in the box.  But we cut all the bad parts off the apples and let them soak. 
From there, my dad transferred the apples to the stove.  He allowed them to heat up and get soft, while mashing them periodically. 
After they were good and soft, they headed into the "grinder" machine... where we would turn the crank and watch the applesauce fall into the bowl.  The machine would separate the peels from the good apple parts. 
We ended up canning 12 jars of sauce! 
I have six at home with me... which means that it will be a wonderful applesauce winter :)  And my favorite part is that the sauce is pink!

Question: How do you like your applesauce?

-My favorite is adding cinnamon to it and warming a bowl up in the microwave before eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment